Figure : Analogic eye / Photographic camera
- The basic and especially complex function provided by the visual system.
- Perception of light rays and their interpretation to understand the environment.
- The essential component of this system.
- It is often compared to a camera:
- The eye can be described as a darkroom fitted with a lens consisting of 2 lenses (cornea, lens) with focusing (accommodation) and a diaphragm (pupil). Its photographic film (retina) where the image is going to be printed is digitised (signal transduction) via a cable (optic nerve) and then is interpreted by the brain. (1)
- Any abnormality in one of the components of this system may alter its functioning and be the cause of different disorders.
Video 1 : Eye anatomy