Quantel, laser technology expertise dating back to 1970
Founded in 1970, the French company Quantel has one of the longest histories in a sector that began its development with the invention of laser technology in 1960.
The Quantel Group has built up a global reputation in the field of solid-state lasers.
A pioneer in a field of on-going technological advancement, the Quantel Group has developed a unique expertise for designing, manufacturing and marketing innovative products. Over the last ten years, the Group has built up a reputation as one of the leading world specialists in laser technology for scientific (research laboratories, universities), industrial (micro-machining, measurements, military and spatial uses) and medical (ophthalmology, dermatology) purposes.
In 1997, the Quantel Group joined the New Paris Stock Exchange Market.
The Group's technological expertise
With outlets in the United States and France, Quantel is pursuing its development policy by acquiring additional technologies.
- In 1993, Quantel created a new subsidiary, BVI, which was a shareholder in Biovision, a company specialising in ophthalmological lasers and Ultrasound systems. BVI went on to become Quantel Medical.
This acquisition united Quantel's fundamental expertise in laser technology with Biovision's expertise in the field of ophthalmology. This synergy gave rise to Quantel Medical, world leader in ocular Ultrasound systems and laser photocoagulation.
- In 2004, C2J Electronique, Quantel Medical's long-term supplier, joined the Quantel Group. This merger served to extend the Group's technological platform to include electronics, computer science and image processing, thus providing the basis of excellence that underpins Quantel Medical's high standing in the field of Ultrasound and laser technology.
- The Group extended its knowledge base to include new business areas, i.e., continuous fiber lasers and laser diodes.
- In 2007, the Quantel Group took over WaveLight Aesthetic GmbH, which then became Quantel Derma. Quantel Derma will be responsible for Group business in the Dermatology and Aesthetics areas, and will boast the world's largest range of equipment in these fields.
- In July 2012, Quantel signed an agreement with the Israeli firm ALMA Lasers to sell its Dermatology-Aesthetics Lasers business. Quantel Derma is now Alma Lasers.
QUANTEL will continue to produce the devices from the dermatology range on behalf of ALMA. This manufacturing agreement is being entered into for a minimum of one year and may be renewed if requested by ALMA. Learn more about Alma Lasers: www.almalasers.com/
This sale will also pave the way for the Medical Division to focus on developing the Ophthalmology business, which is continuing to increase its market shares thanks to the innovative products released during the last few years.
Quantel's innovation and quality strategy has driven the Group's growth upward by a regular 25% a year over the last ten years. The Group's customers and partners actively participate in pushing this development forward.
A Group of international standing
Through its subsidiary Quantel USA, the Quantel Group boasts a solid industrial base in the United States. The Group has successfully expanded onto the international scene. Today, the Quantel network counts over 110 distributors worldwide through a partnership strategy based on trust.
International Group Network